- To provide students with practical skills in creating designs for drainage and structural systems for buildings.
- To train students to gain practice in the schematics of sanitary sewer systems for a building.
- To equip students with practical applications of construction design representation structures through sketching, technical drawing, models in the design of water drainage systems.
- To inculcate in students the practical skills in the use of computer-aided softwares for designing the graphics of buildings.
- To train students in the operational skills of creating structural and concrete elements of a building.
- To help students to gain practical skills in managing engineering designs through scheduling, budgeting, resource management, execution and control.
Having successfully completed this course, the student will be able to
- Produce creative designs for storm drainage systems of a construction project.
- Apply the use of softwares for technical designs of water supply systems of a building.
- To use professional technical drawings related to civil engineering in designing sanitary sewer systems of a building.
- Produce creative technical drawings for structural and concrete systems.
- Apply the use of computer aided softwares in the designing of construction graphics.
- Assemble and construct structural and concrete elements of a building.
- Plan, budget, regulate and execute resource management of structural system designs.
- DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
This module seeks to put students through practical skills in the overall layout and design of buildings drainage systems such as point drainage systems and channel drainage systems in the construction industry.
- SANITARY SEWER SYSTEMS
This module will provide students with practice in the design of separate sewer systems, combined sewer systems and manholes during the construction of buildings.
- WATER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS
This module will provide students with practical skills in designing water supply systems such as drainage basins, raw water collection point, water purification and water storage systems of a building.
- STRUCTURAL AND CONCRETE SYSTEMS
This module would train students with practical skills related to designing designs for bearing-wall, building frame, moment-resisting frame, dual, cantilever column systems as structural systems in addition to designs for reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete structural elements; response of members subject to axial loading, shear and flexure; design of columns, deep beams and shear walls; design and detailing for connection regions; design of pre-tensioned and post-tensioned beams and slabs; and the effect of short-term and long-term deformations.
- CONSTRUCTION GRAPHICS
This module seeks to provide students with the technical know-how of the use of softwares such as Autodesk AutoCAD and Google SketchUp in designing geometric, multi-view projection, section view, dimensioning and solid modelling construction.
- ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT
This module would provide students with practical skills involving the practical feasibility studies, authentication, development, costing and economic analysis of designs for drainage, sanitary sewer, water distribution, structures and concrete systems of a building.